‘We didn’t get enough support from the government’ gutted owners say as pub shuts for good

0
20



A hotel and pub is closing for good after the pandemic, lockdown and “not enough support from the government” left them with no choice.

The owners of the Castle Hotel on High Street, Pontardawe, announced the news by describing it as the “hardest decision” they have ever had to make.

Writing on Facebook, a statement on behalf of the staff and management at the hotel and pub said: “With a very great sadness we have no choice anymore but to announce permanent closure of The Castle Hotel doors.

“It was the hardest decision we have ever had to make but this pandemic, lockdown, not enough support from government left us with no choice.

“We are very sorry and sad not to be able to see all of you that supported us all the way through again.

“Would like to thank all of our staff that made this venue so special, fun, full of memories, helped a lot of customers struggling with personal issues and made everyone feel very welcome.

“Stay healthy and well and look after yourself beautiful human beings.”

Many people have shared their sadness of the news on Facebook.

Find out about things going on where you live:

Nathan Griffiths said: “Very sad news. A great pub. Enjoyed many times whenever I’ve come up to ponty. All the best with the future.”

While The George Country Pub in Swansea added: “Gutted for you all… difficult times ahead for everyone especially in the hospitality business.”

A Welsh Government spokeswoman said: “This last year has been incredibly difficult for everyone, and it is extremely distressing to hear of business facing permanent closure.

“We have responded at pace to minimise the pandemic impacts on business and workers. Our support package of more than £2 billion is the most generous business support package anywhere in the UK and we are actively reviewing our options for providing further support for firms aligned to the review process and have active planning in place to extend if required.”

First Minister Mark Drakeford’s latest review of restrictions on lockdown regulations in Wales took place last Friday.

Mr Drakeford warned that the re-opening of pubs and restaurants would not be included in the next two three-week reviews, which will be on March 12 and April 2.

People working within the hospitality industry across Swansea recently opened up about the tough reality they are facing as their businesses remain shut due to ongoing lockdown measures stopping them from operating.

No date has yet been given as to when the hospitality trade will be able to start planning to open their doors again.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here