A date for the re-opening of Pontypridd‘s Ynysangharad War Memorial Park has been proposed.
The announcement was made this week at the meeting of the Major Incident Recovery Board where is was confirmed Rhondda Cynon Taf Council intend to re-open Ynysangharad War Memorial Park on Saturday, April 4.
It’s good news for the town as the park has been closed ever since it suffered severe damage as a result of Storm Dennis.
At the meeting it was said the park will re-open even though aspects, such as the Lido, will remain out of use for some time.
Leader of the Council and Chair of the Major Incident Recovery Board, Councillor Andrew Morgan, said: “Officers provided an update on the range of actions the council has been undertaking in the aftermath of three consecutive weekends of storms.
“Whilst our focus in the main has quite rightly been on assisting those residents and businesses affected by internal flood damage in supporting them as quickly as possible, we are now in a position to announce our intention to re-open Ynysangharad War Memorial Park on Saturday, April 4.”
He added: “Our close engagement with businesses in Pontypridd has clearly fed back that re-opening the park is a key priority for them in recognition of the wider impact that it has on trade in the town and, following the clean-up works entering their final stages, we are now in a position to announce an opening date.
“Unfortunately, some areas of the park, including the café, public toilets, Bowls Pavilion and the Lido will remain out of use, with further updates to be provided as appropriate.
“Nevertheless, this will no doubt be a big boost for Pontypridd, which remains open for business, as we approach the Easter holidays.”
The park will re-open in time for the Easter holidays to coincide with Danter’s Funfair, which will be coming to the park between Monday, April 6 and Tuesday, April 21.
Updates regarding various aspects of the park have also been confirmed by the council.
This is what the council had to say about the current state of other areas.
National Lido of Wales, Lido Ponty
Clean-up works are continuing and electrical connections have now been re-established, although further inspections are required, meaning that it’s unlikely the Lido will open during the summer season.
Further information will be provided later in the summer on the progress of the repairs.
Lido Play (children’s play area)
This has been cleaned several times and the last load of new sand is due to be delivered in the coming days.
A new zip wire has also been ordered and the fencing works are planned to be completed in the next few weeks.
Cricket Pavilion and football changing rooms
Both of these buildings avoided any flood damage and are in a good condition, and their respective availability will be dependent on pitch assessments.
The council is in the process of replacing the approximately 400m of fencing alongside the river.
It is hoped that permanent fencing will be in place by the target opening date.
Llys Cadwyn Footbridge
Work has progressed well on the installation of the new structure and a completion date will be announced shortly.
The existing footbridge (Marks and Spencer bridge) remains closed to the public as the structure represents a risk and is likely to need replacing.
Café and public toilets
Due to the extent of the damage sustained it’s highly unlikely that both the café and public toilets will be in a position to re-open fully until a later date, and the council will communicate any developments with residents at the earliest opportunity.
Temporary catering outlets and temporary public toilets will be arranged in the meantime for use during the Easter holidays.
Similarly, this building suffered serious damage during Storm Dennis and while Transport for Wales volunteers made some progress cleaning it last week, there remains a significant amount of work to be undertaken and an update will be provided in due course.