The serious damage a burning candle did to a woman’s home

0
10


This picture shows the serious damage caused to a woman’s home by a burning candle.

Firefighters were called to the house in Trefor, Gwynedd , at 6.54pm on Monday.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service has released the picture as a warning to others about the damage caused by unattended candles.

The property in Lime Street suffered 100% fire damage to the entire ground floor and smoke damage to the first floor.

The fire service believes it was caused by a candle left on a window sill which ignited the wooden blinds above.

The woman discovered the fire after smoke alarms went off while she was asleep. She was uninjured but a cat died in the fire.


Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Jeff Hall, from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This incident clearly highlights the importance of smoke alarms, which alerted the sleeping resident to a fire in her home.

“The occupant did attempt to tackle the fire herself, and was extremely lucky to escape without being seriously hurt. She received oxygen from crews at the scene and received a precautionary check by paramedics. Our advice upon discovering a fire is to get out, stay out and call 999 – do not try and tackle the fire yourself.

“I would appeal to residents to be very careful when using candles or naked flames. This warning is particularly relevant in the run up to Christmas when people may consider using candles within their festive decorations.

“Candles can easily develop into a fire and every year we see countless incidents where an open flame left unattended can leave a trail of devastation.

“We advise people to use the battery operated tea light candles, which can be purchased for a small cost and are battery operated instead of requiring a flame. These electronic candles are just as effective at creating an atmosphere but are much safer than a candle.”



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here