The mess left by Storm Dennis in Cardiff Bay and Bute Park

0
54


A massive clean-up operation is underway in Cardiff after Storm Dennis brought 90mph winds and more than one month’s worth of rain to Wales in just two days.

Parts of Bute Park were left completely submerged in water on Sunday after the River Taff burst its banks and homes in Llandaff and at Forest Farm in Whitchurch were evacuated.

The Cardiff East Park and Ride in Pentwyn also flooded when the Rhymney River, which runs behind the site, overflowed – leaving vehicles engulfed in water. River levels reached 3.5m – more than triple its average of 0.95m – at midday on Sunday, but have since started to fall.

Photos taken over the weekend show that floodwater was so high it rose above the wheels of a silver minivan that had been left in the car park and almost entirely submerged three cars.



The Cardiff East Park and Ride in Pentwyn on Sunday




Cardiff Bus said flooding began to subside on Sunday night and cleared completely by Monday, but the site remained closed while a clear-up operation was carried out.

A spokeswoman for the firm said staff had been clearing debris that had been left behind and checking electrical work. She said the bus operator plans to reopen the park and ride on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, parts of Bute Park are still unrecognisable as large sections of grassland and footpaths remain underwater.

Cardiff Council said flooding on the north side of the park by Blackweir and Pontcanna fields have cleared, but the south side of by Castle Street remains submerged.

The main gates to the park were still closed on Monday, but the park could be accessed from Sophia Gardens/Millennium Bridge through to the Fishers Bridge near the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.



Bute Park on Monday after flooding over the weekend




However, many footpaths and cycle routes were inaccessible.

The council said its thought buildings and cafés on-site escaped with little to no damage, but the boat mooring at Cardiff Castle has been left needing “significant repair work”.

A spokesman for Aquabus said its hoped services will be back up and running later in the week, but said boats might only run on the part of the route until repair work is carried out.

He said: “The berth at Cardiff Castle has been left in a very poor condition and needs a lot of repair work. I can’t see it being operating anytime soon, which is a shame.

Read More

Latest on Storm Dennis

“I hope we will open part of the route up this week. The berth up the river at Taffs Mead appears to be mostly undamaged, and our private berth in the marina is fine too.”

Over in Cardiff Bay, the lower boardwalk and Roald Dahl Plass were closed on Sunday after being inundated with rubbish coming from the rivers but reopened on Monday morning.

However, video filmed on Monday morning shows mounds of debris such as driftwood and plastic floating around the edges of the Bay and covering part of the shoreline. 

The council said much of it is likely to be underwater and warned that “extreme caution must be exercised whilst using the Bay”.

On Monday, the Met Office issued another yellow weather warning for rain as flooding downpours are set to continue in the wake of Storm Dennis.

The weather warning, issued for north-west and south Wales, will come into effect at 6pm on Wednesday and last until 3pm on Thursday as another Atlantic storm system moves over the UK.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here