Strike action put on hold at Newport Comprehensive school

0
51



Teachers who were due to strike at a secondary school in Newport have decided to put the strike on hold.

Staff at Caerleon Comprehensive, were due to strike from March 10 to March 12 but have scrapped the strike – for now.

Last month, there was a three day walk out by 47 teachers at the school.

The teachers, all members of teaching union the NASUWT, are striking in a row over staff restructuring and potential job losses which they say are caused by  Wales’ new curriculum .

Their action follows a continuing   strike at Llanwern High School,  also maintained by  Newport Council,  over what the union said were “similar issues”.

It is understood that heads of subject department will go, to be replaced with fewer heads of faculties in line with the  new curriculum  which is designed to join related subjects into faculties.

On Friday, Newport City Council said it held productive discussions with the trade unions.

They added further discussions were held with the unions who indicated that the industrial action is put on hold while the parties try to find a resolution to the dispute.

Councillor Jane Mudd, leader of the council, said: “As Leader I am committed to working with all our partners to ensure the best possible outcome for the people who live, work and learn within Newport. Working together, we can overcome the problems we face and we will do this responsibly and within our legal and financial constraints. 

“I attended the meeting with union representatives this week and was able to hear first-hand the concerns that led to the industrial action. The pupils and their education is at the forefront of all our minds as we try to resolve this dispute.”



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here