The protests happened despite the alleged organiser of the first two protests being given a £500 fine
Protesters took to the streets of Cardiff for the fourth evening today following the death of 24-year-old Mohamud Hassan, hours after he was released from police custody.
The first protest over his death started on Tuesday, January 12, with hundreds of people marching the streets.
Many were angry at the police and said they wanted answers. Further protests took place on Wednesday, January 13 and Thursday, January 14.
South Wales Police have said the death of Mr Hassan was “sudden and unexplained”.
The force said he had been taken into custody following a disturbance on Newport Road in Roath on Friday January 8. He left custody at around 8.30am on the morning of Saturday , January 9. He died on Saturday night.
Legal representatives for his family have said that he was severely injured when he was released. They have said witnesses described him as covered in blood with severe injuries to his mouth and severe bruising all over his body.
On Friday, South Wales Police confirmed a woman had been fined £500 for breaching coronavirus rules after organising protests in Cardiff following the death of Mohamud Hassan.
Police said one woman was reported for summons for breaching Covid-19 regulations by organising an outdoor event, namely protests in Cardiff Bay on Tuesday and Wednesday, at which more than 30 people were in attendance.
You can read more about that here.
In his statement on Friday, Chief Constable Jeremy Vaughan expressed his condolences to the family.
He said: “The death of Mohamud Hassan was a tragedy and we will continue to offer our deepest condolences to his family. There is nothing that we can say to ease their pain and we will support them in any way that we can.
“I know that many people want to understand what led to his tragic death on Saturday 9th January 2021, particularly the circumstances surrounding his arrest on the Friday before, his time at the police station and his subsequent release from custody.
“We immediately referred the circumstances surrounding his death to the Independent Office for Police Conduct who have decided to independently investigate these circumstances.
“We did this not because we thought that police officers had done anything wrong, but because it was the right thing to do, to give an independent view on the decisions that we made and the actions that we took.
“It is right and proper that the powers that we exercise are subject of scrutiny and the IOPC will come to their own conclusions in this regard. I completely respect their independence and I completely understand people’s desire to understand what has happened.
“As Chief Constable I am determined that we should pursue the evidence wherever it takes us. I know people want to make their voices heard; the prevalence of racial discrimination and disadvantage across all parts of our society is such an important issue that voices should be heard.”