‘My flat is ruined. The smoke damage has ruined everything’: Derry Girls star’s warning after electrical item sets fire to flat

0
146


Derry Girls’s star, Siobohan McSweeney, has spoken out about the dangers of using cube plug adaptors after one sparked a fire in her flat.

According to Belfast Live , the actress, who plays Sister Michael in the Channel 4 comedy show, was out of her flat when the fire broke out but it has caused serious damage to her home.

Siobohan took to Twitter to talk about the incident. She said two firefighters arrived at her flat and “chopped down [her] new fire door, to discover the whole flat in acrid smoke and [her] bedroom so hot it had cracked the windows”.

After a thorough investigation, fire officials determined that the cube adapter had fallen out of a socket (less than 2mm) and caused the fire.

Speaking of the devastation in her flat, Siobohan said the fire produced such a heat that it “melted the fire alarms and fuse box in the hall next door”.

 

Siobohan is urging fans to get rid of the plug adaptors saying they’re poorly designed and a “death trap”.

She said: “Please PLEASE get rid of them in your house.

“They are structured badly and it only takes a mm for there to be a spark.

“My flat is ruined. The smoke damage has ruined everything”.



The remains of the adapter after it caused Siobohan’s flat fire.

However, the Derry Girls star tried to see the positive in the situation, saying she did manage to salvage her passport, Dad’s death certificates, medication and her appointments diary.

She’s also making plans with her housing association to repair her flat.

Siobohan also talked about the kindness of her neighbours and how she is glad they are safe. She said:  “Their kindness last night was an extraordinary thing. The thought of something happening to them makes me feel even more nauseous. Lovely old buildings and their thick walls.”



The damage caused to Siobohan’s flat.

Siobohan’s Twitter post has been shared more than 400 times, with people taking to the comments to offer their support.

One Twitter user said: “this is a terrible mess; I am glad you are OK and were not there when it happened.”

Another said: “This exact thing happened to my family home in 2012… don’t know how they aren’t banned yet.”



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here