Latest Coronavirus update in Wales as more than 100 people are tested

0
18



More than 100 people have been tested in Wales for Coronavirus – but there have been no confirmed cases to date.

The outbreak of coronavirus in China has killed more than 1,300 people and the virus is now reported in 20 countries around the world.

A statement from the Chief Medical Officer for Wales, Dr Frank Atherton, has been released which says that the risk to the public “remains moderate”.

Testing has now begun at University Hospital of Wales rather than in England.

“More than 100 people have so far been tested in Wales and we have had no confirmed cases to date.

“I wrote to the NHS earlier this week advising on the importance of immediate implementation of community assessment and testing services and the establishment of Coronavirus Testing Units separate from emergency departments.”

He said that people with mild symptoms should remain self-isolated at home where they will be met by trained clinical professionals who can assess their health and undertake the necessary tests.

“The coronavirus testing units will ensure that individuals who present to our acute hospitals because of concerns they are at risk can receive prompt assessment in an area separate from Emergency Departments.

“Both measures benefit the individuals without impacting on the day to day services provided by our NHS,” he said.

In a further statement on Twitter, Public Health Wales said that: “There are no confirmed cases in Wales, although it is likely that Wales will see cases at some point.”

It added that diagnostic tests for Novel Coronavirus had been developed in the Public Health Wales specialist facility at the University Hospital of Wales Cardiff and were being carried out bytrained specialists.”

It has emerged that one of the people diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK attended a central London conference with 250 delegates from the nationwide bus and transport industry.

The person, who has not been named, attended the UK Bus Summit at the QEII Centre in Westminster on February 6.

Transport Times, the conference organiser, emailed attendees on Thursday afternoon informing them that a person confirmed to be suffering from coronavirus illness – also known as Covid-19 – had been at the event.

Dr Yimmy Chow, consultant in health protection at Public Health England (PHE), said: “One of our main priorities has been to identify any people who we think have been in close contact with confirmed cases of Covid-19 to provide public health advice, as they may be at slightly increased risk of catching the virus.

“While the degree of contact conference delegates may have had with the case is unlikely to have been significant, we have taken a precautionary approach and informed them of the situation.”

What is the advice for travellers?

All travellers who develop flu-like symptoms however mild, (these symptoms could be a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing) within 14 days of returning from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau, should self-isolate at home immediately and call NHS Direct Wales or 111, if available in their area.

It is important to note that travellers from Wuhan and Hubei province should self-isolate for 14 days, even if they do not have symptoms, due to the increased risk from that area.

The public can help to lessen the chances of spreading any respiratory virus. The advice is to catch it, bin it, kill it and wash your hands.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here