Coronavirus infection rates, cases and deaths for all parts of Wales on Monday, October 26

0
14



Six more people have died with coronavirus in Wales and more than 1,150 new positive cases have been identified.

Latest figures from Public Health Wales (PHW) for Monday, October 26, show 1,158 positive test results have been reported in the last 24 hours, a rise on the 1,104 announced on Sunday.

A total of 43,839 people have now tested positive in Wales since the pandemic began last March.

PHW also announced that six more people had died to bring the overall death toll with lab-confirmed coronavirus to 1,783.

On Saturday, October 24, 16 deaths were announced which was the highest daily number of deaths since May 28. Health minister Vaughan Gething said on Monday the past week had been one of Wales’ deadliest since the pandemic began.

Merthyr Tydfil remains the local authority with the most cases per 100,000 population, increasing to 379.6 from 374.6 on Sunday.

Rhondda Cynon Taf had the second highest with 341.1 cases, up from 331.2, while Blaenau Gwent was third with 322.1, a big leap on 272 on Sunday.

The numbers look at a rolling seven-day average between October 17 and October 23.

These are the key details on Monday:

  • Deaths reported today: 6

  • Cases reported today: 1,158 (up from 1,104 on Sunday)

  • Number of tests carried out on Saturday: 14,686 (up from 11,217 reported on Sunday)

  • Total deaths with lab-confirmed coronavirus in Wales: 1,783

Cardiff recorded the most positive cases within the last 24 hours with 199, followed by RCT with 143, Swansea with 121, Neath Port Talbot with 77, Caerphilly with 76, and Carmarthenshire with 72.

Other local authorities reporting high numbers of cases included Bridgend with 63, Blaenau Gwent with 50, Newport with 41, Wrexham with 40, Merthyr Tydfil with 32, Torfaen with 31, and Flintshire with 30.

Meanwhile Monmouthshire had 27 new cases, Conwy had 22, Vale of Glamorgan had 16, Powys had 13, Denbighshire, Ceredigion, and Gwynedd each had 10, Anglesey had eight, and Pembrokeshire had five.

Cases per 100,000 for rolling seven days

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

Blaenau Gwent: 322.1 (Up)

Newport: 128.7 (Up)

Torfaen: 158.6 (Up)

Caerphilly: 217 (Up)

Monmouthshire: 113.1 (Up)

Betsi Cadwaldr University Health Board

Flintshire: 130.7 (Down)

Wrexham: 199.3 (Down)

Conwy: 97.3 (Down)

Denbighshire: 92 (Down)

Gwynedd: 76.3 (Down)

Anglesey: 125.6 (Down)

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board

Cardiff: 305.3 (Up)

Vale of Glamorgan: 68.9 (Up)

Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board

Merthyr Tydfil: 379.6 (Up)

Rhondda Cynon Taf: 341.1 (Up)

Bridgend: 221 (Up)

Hywel Dda University Health Board

Carmarthenshire: 102.2 (Up)

Ceredigion: 48.1 (Up)

Pembrokeshire: 33.4 (Down)

Powys Teaching Health Board

Powys: 49.1 (Down)

Swansea Bay University Health Board

Swansea: 251.4 (Up)

Neath Port Talbot: 281.2 (Up)

Wales total – 188.4 (Up)

Use this tool to check case figures in your area:

Wales has now entered a 17-day “fire-break” lockdown which will last until Monday, November 9.

Everyone is expected to stay at home wherever possible, non-essential retail will shut, and secondary schools will close for those in year nine and above. Read the full announcement here.

Speaking on Monday, Mr Gething said: “We are facing a real public health emergency in Wales – we have a two-week period in which we need to do everything we can to break the cycle of transmission and do everything we can to bring coronavirus under control.

“We are moving very swiftly towards the April peak – the point at which the NHS came very close to being overwhelmed. But in the spring we had already postponed all planned operations and appointments.

“If we carry on at this rate we will reach this point within a matter of weeks.”

  • People in Wales are being asked to stay at home until Monday, November 9
  • All non-essential retail, leisure, hospitality and tourism businesses will close as was the case during the March lockdown
  • Community centres, libraries, and recycling centres will also all close and places of worship will be shut other than for funerals or wedding ceremonies
  • Primary and special schools will re-open as normal after half term but secondary schools will only re-open to students in years seven and eight for the second week of the fire-break
  • No gatherings will be permitted either indoors or outdoors with people from other households with the only exceptions being adults living alone and single parents who can join another household for support

There has been widespread criticism of Welsh Government’s decision to ban supermarkets from selling non-essential goods.

There has also been confusion after a Tesco supermarket in Cardiff was seen blocking off access to sanitary products despite them being an essential item.

The supermarket chain has since apologised and deleted a tweet which incorrectly stated that the Welsh Government had banned their sale during lockdown.

In Monday’s Welsh Government press briefing Mr Gething had a message for those who had made, or were considering making, life more difficult for supermarket workers.

He said: “We will take action today so that retailers understand that our rules already allow people in acute need to buy the basics, which are essential to them over the next two weeks.

“But we also ask people to understand the very real crisis we are facing at the moment in Wales and to please treat people working in our shops with the respect they deserve.”

He went on: “Irresponsible behaviour won’t help any of us. The people doing that need to look at what they are doing and people giving them the platform need to take a step back.

“They also need to reflect on the fact they are making life difficult for our shop workers who need to be treated with respect. I would ask everyone in Wales to play their part in reducing the number of lives that are lost.”

The Welsh Government was due to meet retailers on Monday afternoon to review the regulations and guidance “to make sure it is being applied fairly and consistently”.

Dr Eleri Davies, incident director for the novel coronavirus outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: “Public Health Wales is reminding people that fire-break restrictions came into effect in Wales at 6pm on Friday, October 23, and will last until the start of Monday, November 9.

“We urge the public to stick to the new rules which are vital to help us regain control of the virus, to protect the NHS, and save lives.

“Although national and local measures have made a difference further action is now needed. Cases continue to rise in Wales, hospital admissions are increasing, including those into critical care, and sadly so are the numbers of people dying from the virus. 

“Under the rules people must stay at home except for very limited purposes. They must not visit other households or meet other people they do not live with. 

“Certain businesses and venues including bars, restaurants, and most shops must close.

“Secondary schools will provide learning online only for the week after half-term other than for children in years seven and eight. Primary schools and childcare settings will remain open.

“Face coverings continue to be mandatory in the indoor public spaces that remain open, subject to certain exemptions and exceptions, including on public transport and in taxis.

“More information about the new rules is available at the Welsh Government website.”



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here