Almost every day brings fresh reports of coronavirus cases in schools in Wales.
It is hard to get definitive up-to-date figures from Public Health Wales or the Welsh Government on the number of cases among staff, teachers, and pupils and also precise numbers of pupils told to self-isolate and learn from home.
WalesOnline has been asking individual councils to confirm the recorded cases in schools in their area and we have checked school social media to track cases.
To date there have been around 70 reported cases in 67 schools and one college with some having more than one case. In the last few days more than 10 new cases related to schools have been reported.
Hundreds of pupils have now had to go back to remote learning from home after being told to self-isolate due to cases in their schools.
Staff across Wales have also been told to self isolate after coming into close contact with a positive coronavirus case.
All Wales’ 1,569 schools opened full time to all pupils, except those who are self-isolating, from Monday, September 14.
So far 17 of Wales’ 22 councils have confirmed coronavirus cases in their schools. Schools do not have to close if a case of coronavirus is confirmed but have to follow protocols set out in Welsh Government re-opening guidance.
Public Health Wales confirmed on September 10 that there had been 36 cases in 31 schools from the start of term on September 1 up to September 9. Since then that figure has grown to more than 67 cases in 67 schools and one college according to information given by councils and schools by Wednesday, September 16.
It is understood there are cases in other schools and colleges but the information is not always made publicly available. The Welsh Government and Public Health Wales were approached for the latest data but have yet to respond.
All the schools with cases publicly reported up to Wednesday, September 16:
Llanishen Fach Primary – more details here.
Whitchurch High – a second case of Covid-19 was confirmed at Wales’ largest secondary school on September 15. As a result of the case in a Year Seven pupil 37 other pupils in the same year have been asked to self-isolate for two weeks.
Last week pupils in the key GCSE group Year 11 and some staff and pupils were told they would have to self-isolate and learn from home after a case in that year.
The second case means the 2,400-pupil school has had Covid 19 cases at both its upper and lower school sites.
The rest of the school remains open to other pupils and the lower school site has been disinfected and extra cleaning has taken place. Find more details here.
Ysgo Bro Edern – more details here.
Bryn Deri Primary – more details here.
Ninian Park Primary – more details here.
Ty Gwyn Special School – more details here.
Roath Park Primary – 60 Year Six pupils were asked to isolate for two-weeks following confirmation of a case.
Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic High School – all pupils in Year Seven have been asked to self-isolate after a confirmed case in a pupil.
In a letter on the school’s website head teacher Huw Powell said: “I can confirm that one Year Seven pupil has tested positive for Covid.
“This pupil was only in on Monday; no Year Sevens have been in since. Given this, we have asked that all pupils in Year Seven self-isolate until Tuesday, September 22.
“I fully understand the concern that this news may cause, and can assure you that we have worked in close liaison with all partners in the local authority.
“We have been assured through our risk assessments that the environment at Mary Immaculate remains as safe as possible for all students and staff. All other year groups should attend school as planned from Monday, September 14. All of the safety measures will remain in place and we will continually review and adapt these where we think it is appropriate to do so.”
Cardiff has 18 secondary, 80 primary, and seven special schools.
Lliswerry High – more details here.
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic High – more details here.
Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd more details here.
St Julian’s School – more details here.
Newport High – all Year Nine pupils have been asked to self-isolate after a confirmed case in a pupil in the year. Head teacher Gill Lee said in a message on the school’s website on September 14: “In line with guidance from Welsh Government, Environmental Health and, Newport City Council all pupils in Year Nine will need to self-isolate for 14 days. School remains open to all other pupils.”
Pentrepoeth Primary – eight reception pupils, all Year Two pupils, and two teachers have been told to self-isolate after at least one confirmed case at the school. The school sent a letter to parents informing them of the action.
St Gabriel’s Primary
Malpas Park Primary
See more details on the last five schools here.
Rhondda Cynon Taf
Pontypridd High – more details here.
Treorchy Comprehensive – more details here.
Aberdare Community School – more details here.
Pontygwaith Primary School – more details here.
Cymmer Primary School – more details here.
Gelli Primary School – more details here.
Ynyshir Primary School – more details here.
Ysgol Evan James – more details here.
Blackwood Comprehensive confirmed a Year Seven pupil has tested positive for Covid-19 and children in the same year have been told to self-isolate.
In a letter posted on the school’s website Blackwood Comprehensive head teacher Jane Wilkie said she was notified of the case on Tuesday, September 15.
“A pupil has tested positive for coronavirus and we have followed strict public health protocols to ensure the health and wellbeing of the whole school community,” she said.
“Parents and carers of one of our Year Seven classes were contacted and they have collected their child.
Heolddu Comprehensive confirmed a case of coronavirus in this message posted on the school’s Facebook page on September 15: “Unfortunately, a member of our school community has tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19).
“We have taken immediate and appropriate action in line with public health protocols to ensure that our school can remain open to all pupils and staff who are unaffected by this case.” The school did not say whether the case was a pupil or staff or whether any were self-isolating.
Ysgol Cwm Rhymi sent close contacts of two pupils in Year Seven home to self-isolate after a confirmed cases. It has also had confirmed cases in Year Nine and Year 12.
At St Cenydd Community School a pupil and a member of cleaning staff have both tested positive for coronavirus, the school said in a message on its website on September 13. As a result all pupils in othe “top set” 77.2.1 Year Seven class cannot return to school until September 28.
The area of the school cleaned by the member of staff who tested positive was being deep-cleaned on Sunday, September 13.
Lewis School, Pengam, has seen a member of staff test positive for Covid-19 and pupils in registration class 7LE only have been asked to self-isolate. A message from head teacher Chris Parry, posted on the school’s Facebook page, says the teacher only taught one class but the children will not be able to return to school until September 21. The rest of the school remains open.
St Martin’s High – more details here.
St Gwladys Primary School – more details here.
Risca Primary – all Year Two pupils have been told to self-isolate until September 28 after one pupil in the year tested positive for coronavirus.
Eveswell Primary – a Year One class has been told to self-isolate after a case was confirmed.
At St Gabriel’s Roman Catholic Primary, Year Six pupils have been told to self-isolate after a confirmed case. Head teacher Gabriel Llewellyn told parents in a letter on the school website on September 11.
Malpas Park Primary – Year Five pupils have been told to self-isolate after a confirmed case.
Bedwas Infants School – on September 6 a note to parents said: “A pupil has tested positive for coronavirus and we therefore need to follow strict public health protocols to ensure the health and wellbeing of the whole school community.” One class at the school was advised to self-isolate.
Bedwas High – all Year 12 pupils at Bedwas High School have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days after a pupil tested positive for coronavirus on September 7. In a letter to parents head teacher Stephen Diehl said: “A Year 12 student has tested positive for coronavirus and we therefore need to follow strict public health protocols to ensure the health and wellbeing of the whole school community.”
More pupils at Bedwas High were sent home to self-isolate on September 15 after a second confirmed case at the school. A message on the school’s website on September 15 says one class in Year Seven (7NLW) and one in Year 11 (11.4) have been told to self-isolate and not to return to school until September 28.
A spokesman for Caerphilly council said: “There have been a number of confirmed cases in schools across the area over recent days and we appreciate the situation is a concern for families. We want to assure everyone that robust plans and protocols are in place to respond to any confirmed cases within school settings.
“The health, safety, and wellbeing of children is our main priority and everything possible is being done to keep pupils safely in school.”
Brynteg School – Year Nine pupils were asked to self isolate on September 15 after a confirmed case in the school.
Bryntirion Comprehensive – more details here.
Maesteg Comprehensive – more details here.
Ysgol Bryn Castell – more details here.
Archbishop McGrath Roman Catholic High School
More details on the last two schools’ cases can be found here.
Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Cynwyd Sant – more details here.
Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Llangynwyd
Llangynwyd Primary School
Mynydd Cynffig Primary School
More details on the schools mentioned immediately above can be found here
Pantyscallog Primary – Year Five pupils at Pantyscallog Primary in Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, and some staff who work with them were told to self-isolate on September 15 after they were in the same room as someone who later tested positive for coronavirus. The person concerned is not a member of staff at the school, which has pupils aged three to 11.
In a letter to parents and carers, posted on the school’s Facebook page, head teacher Darren Thomas said the children have been asked to self-isolate and work from home “as a precautionary measure”.
“Last week children in Class 10 Year Five were in the same room as an adult who has tested positive for Covid-19. The adult concerned is not a member of school staff.
“Whilst the children have been in school they have been adhering to a strict routine, regularly sanitising and washing their hands and maintaining a structure within their contact group and no other group.
“However, as a precautionary measure, we are now requesting that children in Class 10 and staff from Class 10 isolate for up to 14 days.
“The children will receive work remotely, as they did during the lockdown last year.
“It is important for me to advise you that no pupils require testing unless they begin to experience Covid-19 symptoms, high temperature, continuous cough, changes to their sense of taste or smell.
“School staff will be in contact you all over the next few days with further advice.” It is not clear who the person was or why the pupils and staff were in the room with them.
That case brings the total to four schools in Merthyr affected.
Merthyr council said last week that three cases among teachers have been reported at three other schools but would not confirm which schools had been affected.
Vale of Glamorgan
Dinas Powys Primary – more details here.
Coed Eva Primary – one case.
Ysgol Panteg – one case.
Woodlands Primary School – one case.
Torfaen Council said the combined cases involve one pupil, one teacher, and one other member of staff.
An unconfirmed number of pupils and staff have been asked to self-isolate.
Neath Port Talbot
Dŵr y Felin Comprehensive School – all Year 11 pupils have been asked to self-isolate after a pupil in the year tested positive for coronavirus on September 11, a message on the school website says. They can return on September 23 and the rest of the school remains open. Find out more here.
The message adds: “We appreciate the concern that this may cause, and can assure you that we are working in close liaison with the local authority’s health and safety team and with Public Health Wales, to ensure that the environment at Dŵr y Felin Comprehensive School remains as safe as possible for our staff and pupils during these extraordinarily difficult times.”
Cwmnedd Primary – one case.
Coedffranc Primary – one case.
Neath Port Talbot council confirmed the cases. Find more details here.
Ysgol y Dderwen -one case in a member of staff was reported at Ysgol y Dderwen on September 4.
Halfway Primary – more details here.
St Christopher’s School closed on September 7 after a member of staff tested positive for coronavirus. In a statement on the primary school’s website head teacher Margaret Davies said the member of staff concerned and some others were self-isolating.
“This is currently an isolated incident and we are working closely with Public Health Wales and the local authority to ensure that we are putting everything in place to keep everybody safe.
“The health and safety of our pupils and staff is paramount and we will always prioritise this in our decision-making.”
The school, which says on its Twitter feed it is the largest special school in Wales, is understood to have re-opened on September 9.
Ewloe Gree Primary – pupils in Year Three have been told to self-isolate after Flintshire Council confirmed a positive case at the school on September 15.
Saltney Wood Memorial Primary School – pupils in Years Five and Six at Saltney Wood Memorial Primary School are being asked to self-isolate after a positive case there reported on September 15.
Coleg Cambria – a “small number” of Covid-19 cases have been confirmed. It has not been confirmed which campus the cases have been detected or whether they have been registered at more than one site, NorthWalesLive reported.
No cases reported.
Ysgol Friars – two canteen workers at Ysgol Friars, Bangor, have tested positive for coronavirus but the school remains open to pupils.
A statement from Ysgol Friars deputy head teacher David Healy on September 11 said: “In addition to the original case we have had seven negative cases, one positive, and three still awaiting a result.
“I have also managed to speak to a representative of track and trace and they tell me that both positives were contracted outside school and so it seems our control measures in the kitchen have worked,” NorthWalesLive reported.
Ysgol yr Hendre – a reception class pupil tested positive for coronavirus. The schools two reception classes will be shut for two weeks, with parents and pupils told to self-isolate, NorthWalesLive reported on September 13.
Ysgol Frongoch – one pupil tested positive for coronavirus and 24 other pupils were also told to self-isolate.
The rest of the school, which shares a site with Ysgol Twm o’r Nant, and Ty’n Fron, the primary annexe of Ysgol Plas Brondyffryny, remains open.
Some staff and pupils at Ysgol Corn Hir in Llangefni were told to self-isolate after a case of coronavirus at the school was confirmed on September 10. See more details here.
Ysgol y Borth, in Menai Bridge, reported one pupil attending tested positive for Covid-19.
Ysgol Llanfechell also had one pupil attending who tested positive for Covid-19.
Responding to those latest two cases, reported on September 15, Anglesey’s council’s chief executive Annwen Morgan said: “We would like to send our best wishes for a speedy recovery to both these young children. Our thoughts are with them, their familiesm and both school communities at this difficult time.”
She added: “There is currently no evidence to suggest further transmission within the schools and both will remain open.”
Tredegar Comprehensive School sent Year 10 pupils home on September 8 to self-isolate after a case of coronavirus in a pupil.
No cases have been reported.
No cases reported.
No cases reported.
No cases reported.
No cases reported.