Boris Johnson gives advisor Dominic Cummings ‘full support’ after 250-mile lockdown trip

0
30



Dominic Cummings has the “full support” of the Prime Minister after details emerged that he travelled 250 miles to County Durham during lockdown.

Boris Johnson had come under pressure to sack his top aide after it was revealed he drove his wife and child from their London home to a family property in the North East after his spouse developed coronavirus-related symptoms.

The UK Government’s transport secretary Grant Shapps, speaking at the daily Downing Street Covid-19 briefing on Saturday, said: “I can tell you the PM provides Mr Cummings with his full support.”

Number 10 had already offered the former Vote Leave campaign mastermind its support when putting out a statement on Saturday, stating that Mr Cummings’ actions “were in line with coronavirus guidelines”.

But Mr Shapps’ latest comments are an indication that the PM is sticking by the controversial figure, who he credited with helping secure him his landslide election victory in December.

The SNP had been calling for the Conservative Party leader to sack Mr Cummings, with the party, along with Labour and the Liberal Democrats, having written to Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill demanding an inquiry into what happened.

According to a joint investigation by the Guardian and Daily Mirror, Mr Cummings was spotted twice in the North East over the course of almost a week, between March 31 and April 5.

Read More

Coronavirus latest

Number 10, in its statement on Saturday, confirmed the 48-year-old had not yet started displaying Covid-19 symptoms when he drove to Durham, but did so in the “high likelihood” he would contract it and need childcare for his four-year-old son.

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Jenny Harries said travelling during the lockdown could be justified if there was an “extreme risk to life”.

Asked if Mr Cummings’ actions undermined the “stay at home” message that was first promoted by the UK Government, Dr Harries refused to comment on the specific incident.

She told the press conference: “In relation to the advice to the public, it’s absolutely clear that public health guidance is, if you’re symptomatic you stay at home, take yourself out of society as quickly as you can with your family and stay there, unless there is extreme risk to life.”

Mr Cummings, speaking to reporters outside his London home on Saturday, said he had acted “reasonably and legally”.

When a reporter suggested to him outside his London home that the trip to Durham did not look good, he replied: “Who cares about good looks?

“It’s a question of doing the right thing. It’s not about what you guys think.”

Durham Constabulary said it contacted Mr Cummings’ family after reports he had been sighted in the area, but No 10 denies that version of events.

In a statement, a No 10 spokesman said: “Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

“His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed.

“His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

“At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.

“His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally.”

There’s often so much information to take in right now, it can be hard to know what to look out for.

So if you want to stay up to date with all the latest news from varying aspects of Welsh life, you can sign up to one of our newsletters as a simple way to keep on top of things.

You’ll receive a curated email, with all the important stories – and stories which interest you – in one place.

We send a range of newsletters each day – sometimes twice a day – on the latest news, up-to-the-minute stories and information on coronavirus as well as the latest Cardiff City, Swansea City, and Welsh rugby sports stories.

We also send out some newsletters on a weekly basis: for example our What’s On newsletter, or our In Case You Missed It email, helping you catch up with any stories you might have missed.

Our current range of newsletters includes:

  • News
  • Swansea news
  • Cardiff City FC
  • Swansea City FC
  • What’s On
  • Rugby
  • In Case You Missed It
  • Reach tickets

To sign up for one – or even all – of these newsletters is easy and completely free.

Just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre. Once you’re there put your email address where it says ’email’ at the top then click on the newsletters you want to receive.

When you’ve made your choice press the ‘update’ preference button at the bottom.

That’s it. Your emails will come through to your inbox from that moment on.

So sign up for a WalesOnline newsletter to make sure you know what’s going on in our brilliant country and around the world.

Durham Constabulary said in a statement on Friday that officers contacted the owners of a property on March 31, more than a week after the lockdown had been imposed by the PM, when they were made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London.

Speaking on Friday, a spokesman for the force said: “On Tuesday, March 31, our officers were made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city.

“Officers made contact with the owners of that address, who confirmed that the individual in question was present and was self-isolating in part of the house.

“In line with national policing guidance, officers explained to the family the arrangements around self-isolation guidelines and reiterated the appropriate advice around essential travel.”

The force declined to update its statement after the Downing St comment.

But Durham Police and Crime Commissioner Steve White said officers “acted appropriately”.

Mr White, the former head of the Police Federation in England and Wales, said it was “most unwise” for the Downing Street adviser to have travelled when “known to be infected”.



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here