A bar and two takeaways in Swansea shut down for ‘breaching coronavirus rules’

0
24


A bar, takeaway and kebab shop have all been shut down for breaking coronavirus rules.

The three venues, Noah’s Yard in Uplands and Chick-O-land and Swansea Kebabs both on Wind Street, were all ordered to close by Swansea council.

They were all served with immediate closure notices and won’t be able to reopen within 14 days unless they can show improvements.

The news comes as another bar on Wind Street, No Sign Wine Bar, revealed a member of its staff had tested positive for coronavirus.

Noah’s Yard was visited by licensing officers from the council at 10pm on Saturday, September 19.

Bar owner Noah Redfern said they approached management as they were unhappy about the distancing between customers.

The lights were then turned off and there was no further service to customers.

Mr Redfern said: “I will find out in due course what’s going to happen. I think everybody interprets the laws differently.

“I can’t see the logic in having to wear a mask to buy a loaf of bread but going into a bar and not needing one.

“The whole Covid system is incomprehensible and the rules seem to change from day to day.

“I felt our system complied. We have a one way system and three separate positions at the bar.

“The table spacing had already been approved by council licensing management. Nobody would be allowed in the premises if they were not sat at a table.

“It was not even busy on Saturday night. There were about 60 people in the venue and normally there are about 200.”

Take a look at the latest coronavirus headlines


Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Meanwhile, Verve 37 in Uplands has been served with an improvement notice by the council. It has until Wednesday, September 23 to improve or face potential further action.

Swansea council said a small number of premises have also been given informal advice on what they need to do to avoid further action and it will consider further visits to check on progress.

Cabinet member David Hopkins said: “We told businesses that we would take firm action if they failed to comply with Welsh Government rules. Three businesses have failed to heed the warning and they are now closed.

“We are acting to keep the public safe. Many businesses in the city are doing the same thing, taking their responsibilities seriously and abiding by the rules. Those who don’t abide by the rules put their communities at risk and that is unacceptable.”

Councillor Hopkins said: “It is the responsibility of businesses to ensure that social distancing is maintained and their premises can be used in a way that is safe for customers and staff and minimises the potential for Covid-19 to spread.

“The number of Covid-19 cases is continuing to rise and the virus has not gone away. Neither businesses nor their customers can be allowed to flout the rules.”

Cllr Hopkins said that the overall picture seen by the public health team in visits to hospitality premises showed most were doing their best to comply.

He said: “We all have to do all we can to avoid another lockdown in Swansea. The council is playing its part. It is vital that business and individuals take responsibility as well.”



Inside No Sign Bar, which has cancelled all of its bookings after a team member tested positive for coronavirus

Meanwhile, No Sign Wine Bar on Wind Street has revealed that a staff member has tested positive for coronavirus.

Established in 1690, No Sign Wine Bar is widely regarded as Swansea’s oldest pub.

The wine cellars date back to the 1400s and in 1930 were featured as the Wine Vaults in Dylan Thomas’s short story The Followers.

It decided to cancel its bookings on Sunday and to deep clean the premises.

In a statement posted on its Facebook page, it said: “We are cancelling all bookings today as we have been informed this morning, that a routine coronavirus test from one of our team in their secondary job, has shown positive.

“As a precaution, even though we follow strict guidelines, we have taken the decision to deep clean and de-fog the premises today and tomorrow.

“No team members have shown symptoms however, we will be closely monitoring the situation, and act accordingly when opening later this week if we believe it is safe to do so.

“We appreciate this is short notice, however, our priority has always been the welfare of our staff and much loved guests.

“We pride ourselves on always being transparent and doing what feels right as opposed to waiting for guidance in this ever changing climate. Once again thank you all for your continued support.”



Source link

قالب وردپرس

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here